Join a Local Chapter to help build social change in your communityOr Start your own Local chapter
First, Pick your Continent to find the chapter closest to you.
Murta e os Marotos
Ribeirao Preto, Brazil
Murta e os Marotos is the HPA chapter in Ribeirao Preto, Brazil. Since 2014, the chapter has organized an Esther Day event in one of Brazil's major book retailers, raising 331 books for a local charity. In January 2015, they took a group of children from low income and at-risk backgrounds to a jungle gym, and in April 2015, they went above and beyond during their Accio Books campaign, collecting not just books but also clothes and non-perishables for a local charity that helps the visually impaired. For the upcoming year they have their sights set on environmental campaigns, with a community garden in the works, conservation of indigenous heritage in a region-wide effort, and many more. They are an integral part of the HPA in Latin America and we are excited for what else they come up with next.
About HPA Chapters
Why Start An HPA Chapter?
- You believe in the power of story to inspire social change.
- You feel strongly about taking an active role in the improvement and empowerment of your local community.
- You think about Harry Potter (and the Doctor, and Katniss Everdeen, and…) a little bit more than the average person. In fact, you see these fictional heroes as role models for action in the real world.
- You also have a bunch of friends who feel the same way you do.
What Will You Gain?
- Leadership Experience: Our COs have the opportunity to gain invaluable experience as leaders in a non-profit setting while playing an active role in real social change.
- Training and Development: Our COs have access to an exclusive Harry Potter-themed training program from which they will emerge fully equipped to lead their communities. Additionally, we now offer Granger Leadership Academy, a semi-annual leadership conference that provides a variety of excellent fan activism workshops and presentations from fandom leaders like Melissa Anelli and Andrew Slack.
- A Fun and Supportive Community: Leading or joining an HPA chapter means being part of something truly unique and special: a real-life Dumbledore’s Army that spans 25 countries, speaks over a dozen languages, shares a passion for multiple fandoms, and fights multiple forms of worldsuck.