Join a Local Chapter to help build social change in your communityOr Start your own Local chapter
First, Pick your Continent to find the chapter closest to you.
First State Potion Masters
The First State Potion Masters is the Delaware Chapter of the Harry Potter Alliance. Founded by Patience and Joseph in 2015, they named their chapter after their favorite character from the series, Severus Snape. While the professor may be a polarizing character to many fans, the founders of this small chapter believe him to be a tragic antihero in a story about love and sacrifice. Snape represents the idea that heroes can be found even in the most unlikely of places. In this case, a small state among a group of friends, that do amazing work to help their community thrive.
Although the Harry Potter Alliance has focuses from literacy to equal rights, it is the First State Potion Master’s belief that literacy is key to many social justice issues facing society today. So, most of their work has focused on addressing literacy for all ages within the state. Their first event was at the First State Comic Con where they hosted the state’s first Apparating Library and raised money for their partner charity, Success Won’t Wait. Over the past year, they’ve brought the Apparating Library to over 12 different events, raised over 45,000 books, and over $4000 to benefit local schools, children’s charities, libraries, juvenile detention centers, veterans associations, retirement centers, doctor’s offices, and more. Of note, they partnered with their local Barnes & Noble to host a fundraiser and book drive while posing for photos dressed as their favorite characters; Harry Potter, Dobby, and Luna Lovegood. This event lasted over a week and they were able to raise over 300 books and $2500. This year, the books will go to sick kids at area hospitals during their annual character visit.
About HPA Chapters
Why Start An HPA Chapter?
- You believe in the power of story to inspire social change.
- You feel strongly about taking an active role in the improvement and empowerment of your local community.
- You think about Harry Potter (and the Doctor, and Katniss Everdeen, and…) a little bit more than the average person. In fact, you see these fictional heroes as role models for action in the real world.
- You also have a bunch of friends who feel the same way you do.
What Will You Gain?
- Leadership Experience: Our COs have the opportunity to gain invaluable experience as leaders in a non-profit setting while playing an active role in real social change.
- Training and Development: Our COs have access to an exclusive Harry Potter-themed training program from which they will emerge fully equipped to lead their communities. Additionally, we now offer Granger Leadership Academy, a semi-annual leadership conference that provides a variety of excellent fan activism workshops and presentations from fandom leaders like Melissa Anelli and Andrew Slack.
- A Fun and Supportive Community: Leading or joining an HPA chapter means being part of something truly unique and special: a real-life Dumbledore’s Army that spans 25 countries, speaks over a dozen languages, shares a passion for multiple fandoms, and fights multiple forms of worldsuck.