Join a Local Chapter to help build social change in your communityOr Start your own Local chapter
First, Pick your Continent to find the chapter closest to you.
Central Florida Slug Club
Central Florida Slug Club SPEW is a community chapter located in Orlando, Florida. They always have something exciting going on. Some of their accomplishments include:
- In 2016, they raised over 7,000 books and helped build a literacy classroom for UCP of Central Florida, a tuition-free charter school that provides education, therapy, and support services for children with special needs and their families.
- Threw a Harry Potter themed party for the teenagers at Zebra Coalition, a youth center for LGBTQ+ people in Orlando.
- Ran a #SaveOurFantasticBeasts campaign that included some social media awareness, in-person discussions and letter-writing/petition-signing on some environmental issues and legislation in the state of Florida as well as teaching creative ways to reuse items rather than throwing them away.
- Called House reps on the ACA and other issues for #NevilleFightsBack.
- Collected toys and financial donations for Baby DJ, a nonprofit run started by a local radio station. Organization provides toys, Christmas decorations, and dinner to families in need.
About HPA Chapters
Why Start An HPA Chapter?
- You believe in the power of story to inspire social change.
- You feel strongly about taking an active role in the improvement and empowerment of your local community.
- You think about Harry Potter (and the Doctor, and Katniss Everdeen, and…) a little bit more than the average person. In fact, you see these fictional heroes as role models for action in the real world.
- You also have a bunch of friends who feel the same way you do.
What Will You Gain?
- Leadership Experience: Our COs have the opportunity to gain invaluable experience as leaders in a non-profit setting while playing an active role in real social change.
- Training and Development: Our COs have access to an exclusive Harry Potter-themed training program from which they will emerge fully equipped to lead their communities. Additionally, we now offer Granger Leadership Academy, a semi-annual leadership conference that provides a variety of excellent fan activism workshops and presentations from fandom leaders like Melissa Anelli and Andrew Slack.
- A Fun and Supportive Community: Leading or joining an HPA chapter means being part of something truly unique and special: a real-life Dumbledore’s Army that spans 25 countries, speaks over a dozen languages, shares a passion for multiple fandoms, and fights multiple forms of worldsuck.