Join a Local Chapter to help build social change in your communityOr Start your own Local chapter
First, Pick your Continent to find the chapter closest to you.
Canyon Crest Academy HPA
San Diego, CA
The Canyon Crest Academy HPA Chapter is a high school chapter run by and for the youth in San Diego County. As a chapter, their main focus is youth literacy; they believe that inspiring young kids to read books is one of the most valuable things they can do to better our community. This past month, they put on an event called the PotterWalk, a Harry Potter-themed fundraising walk in which participants enjoyed a full day of Harry Potter games, Quidditch matches, and food from the wizarding world. The goal was to raise enough funds to replace their local library's media system, which was dreadfully out of date (it supported only VHS's). The event was a huge success; they raised over $1500 for the library out of their $7500 goal. After the event, they were contacted by an organization called the Friends of the Library. They saw all the work CCA HPA did and were inspired, and decided to donate the remaining funds needed to complete the library's new media system!
About HPA Chapters
Why Start An HPA Chapter?
- You believe in the power of story to inspire social change.
- You feel strongly about taking an active role in the improvement and empowerment of your local community.
- You think about Harry Potter (and the Doctor, and Katniss Everdeen, and…) a little bit more than the average person. In fact, you see these fictional heroes as role models for action in the real world.
- You also have a bunch of friends who feel the same way you do.
What Will You Gain?
- Leadership Experience: Our COs have the opportunity to gain invaluable experience as leaders in a non-profit setting while playing an active role in real social change.
- Training and Development: Our COs have access to an exclusive Harry Potter-themed training program from which they will emerge fully equipped to lead their communities. Additionally, we now offer Granger Leadership Academy, a semi-annual leadership conference that provides a variety of excellent fan activism workshops and presentations from fandom leaders like Melissa Anelli and Andrew Slack.
- A Fun and Supportive Community: Leading or joining an HPA chapter means being part of something truly unique and special: a real-life Dumbledore’s Army that spans 25 countries, speaks over a dozen languages, shares a passion for multiple fandoms, and fights multiple forms of worldsuck.