The Harry Potter Alliance turns fans into heroes.
We’re changing the world by making activism accessible through the power of story. Since 2005, we’ve engaged millions of fans through our work for equality, human rights, and literacy.
A creative and collaborative culture that solves the world’s problems.
- We believe in magic.
- We believe that unironic enthusiasm is a renewable resource.
- We know fantasy is not only an escape from our world, but an invitation to go deeper into it.
- We celebrate the power of community—both online and off.
- We believe that the weapon we have is love.
- A partnership with Walk Free that engaged over 400,000 fans and resulted in Warner Bros. changing the sourcing of their Harry Potter chocolate to be 100% UTZ or Fairtrade.
- Raising over $123,000 for Partners In Health and sending five cargo planes of life-saving supplies to Haiti.
- Donations of over 250,000 books across the world through HPA’s Accio Books campaign.
- A partnership with Public Knowledge that brought over 20,000 fans and online video creators together for Net Neutrality.
- The use of broad cultural messaging to link the Hunger Games with real-life inequality.
- And much more!
The HPA has garnered much academic interest, having been the subject of a multi-year study by the Media, Activism, and Participatory Politics research group in the USC Annenberg School of Communications and Journalism.
The HPA’s efforts have been mentioned in publications worldwide, big and small, ranging from The Washington Post, The New York Times, The LA Times, Buzzfeed, The Guardian, The Daily Mail, People, The Nation, The Christian Science Monitor, CNN.com, Mic, The Mary Sue, Daily Dot, Mashable, Entertainment Weekly, and a special mention in the premiere episode of The Nightly Show With Larry Wilmore.