The WAND is more than just a semi-annual publication featuring the HPA’s current campaigns and recent accomplishments. It is also a powerful donor stewardship tool and a means of developing strong relationships with our most influential supporters and strategic partners. In order to reach the WAND’s potential, each story must incorporate snappy copy and the HPA’s unique voice. The Staff Writer’s primary responsibilities are writing feature articles and conducting interviews as directed by the Editor-in-Chief and Senior Staff.
This position reports to the WAND’s Editor-in-Chief and requires 2 to 10 volunteer hours per week, depending on each issue’s editorial cycle.
- Adopt the voice of the HPA to write articles as assigned by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Occasionally conduct interviews with other HPA volunteers or persons of interest.
- Work with the Copy Editor to ensure that articles meet a consistent high standard.
- Collect or solicit photographs related to assigned articles and submit them to the Photo Editor for editing.
- Help WAND Team develop the overall theme and goals for each issue, including promotion of current campaigns and programs, encouraging donations, driving membership and interest in chapters program, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with writing for magazines, newspapers, marketing materials, donor stewardship, or related publications.
- Strong attention to detail and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of the HPA and its campaigns, programs, and community.
- Ability to function in an often unpredictable start-up environment populated by artists and weirdos.
- Passion for social justice and equality.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com if you are interested. We'll be in touch soon if we wish to set up an interview.