WAND: Managing Editor
The WAND is more than just a quarterly publication featuring the HPA’s current campaigns and recent accomplishments. It is also a powerful donor stewardship tool and a means of developing strong relationships with our most influential supporters and strategic partners. The Managing Editor’s chief responsibility is to work with the WAND’s Editor-in-Chief to ensure that the WAND maintains a high standard of quality and remains on a tight publication schedule. This essential role entails building a calendar for each issue, managing deadlines for writers and editors, contributing to discussions about each issue’s concept and content, and managing each issue’s printing and distribution. This position requires a commitment of 7 hours per week and reports to the Editor-in-Chief and Executive Director.
- Work with WAND staff to determine the content and themes of each issue.
- Assist Editor-in-Chief with the creation of word counts and page assignments for each story.
- Assign stories to writers and clearly communicate deadlines as directed by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Write one or two features per issue, as determined during the story assignment phase.
- Review stories to ensure they meet basic expectations of content and quality before clearing them for copy editing, as directed by the Editor-in-Chief.
- Oversee timeline of each issue as it passes from writing to editing to layout.
- Review final product and initiate any major changes or improvements as needed.
- Confirm the finalization of each issue and arrange for its printing and distribution.
- Upload each issue to Issuu.
- Bachelor’s degree and relevant professional experience required; BA in journalism or similar degree preferred.
- Experience with management of print and/or online publications.
- Understanding of the HPA, fan activism, and fandom communities.
- Strong copywriting and editing skills.
- Ability to manage complex projects, monitor timelines, adhere to strict deadlines, and ensure that a volunteer staff does the same.
- Feel comfortable operating in a start-up environment and working with weirdos who have an offbeat sense of humor.
- Deep, all-consuming passion for social justice, literature, and popular culture.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com if you are interested. We'll be in touch soon if we wish to set up an interview.