The WAND is more than just a quarterly publication featuring the HPA’s current campaigns and recent accomplishments. It is also a powerful donor stewardship tool and a means of developing strong relationships with our most influential supporters and strategic partners. In order to reach its potential, the WAND must maintain a high visual standard and incorporate the HPA’s unique branding, voice, and aesthetic into every story. The Layout Editor’s primary responsibility is ensuring that each issue meets the WAND’s established standards, every element looks magical to the reader, and all visuals are as inspiring and as memorable as the written content itself.
This position reports to the WAND’s Editor-in-Chief and requires 2 to 7.5 volunteer hours per week, depending on each issue’s editorial cycle.
- Develop overall visual theme for each issue, with input from WAND staff.
- Work with Editor in Chief and Managing Editor to develop each issue’s pagination for copy, illustrations, photos, and other elements.
- Oversee the design of each issue’s cover art and other illustrations to keep our visual branding consistent.
- Create infographics and other visuals to match articles, as needed.
- Provide associated guidance and direction to the WAND Illustrator and contribute spot illustrations to articles and features, as needed.
- Provide the final, print ready document to send to our printer that adheres to the printer specs and requirements.
- Attend quarterly WAND meetings, read and respond to emails weekly, and attend all-staff meetings when possible.
- Proficient in Adobe programs such as InDesign or InCopy, Illustrator, and Photoshop.
- Must have access to either Adobe InDesign or InCopy.
- Demonstrated experience with publication layout, visual design, illustration, and other associated skills.
- Strong attention to detail and be able to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of the HPA and its campaigns, programs, and community.
- Ability to function in an often unpredictable start-up environment populated by artists and weirdos.
- Passion for social justice and equality.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested. We'll be in touch soon if we wish to set up an interview.