The HPA receives media attention, large and small, every week - and you can be part of tracking and making that news! This volunteer position supports the HPA’s Campaigns Department by tracking and organizing press mentions and contacts, writing press releases, and assisting with other projects related to getting the word out about the HPA! We’re looking for a volunteer who is consistently committed and organized and who has a reasonable familiarity with social media and press strategy.
This position reports to the Campaigns Department Manager and will require an average of 4 volunteer hours per week.
Key Responsibilities and Duties
- Use Google Alerts, Mention, Twitter searches, and more to track press mentions of the HPA and our work, both in-print and online.
- Maintain an organized spreadsheet of all HPA mentions and press contacts.
- Write or assist with press releases for all major HPA campaigns and events.
- Occasionally contribute to press strategizing with the larger Campaigns Department
- Attend Campaigns Department meetings and all-staff meetings.
- Excellent written communication
- Organizational skills
- Love of spreadsheets
- Basic knowledge of the media landscape and social media platforms
- Interest in social change and activism
- Interest in stories, fandom, and popular culture
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Sara at firstname.lastname@example.org. We'll be in touch soon if we wish to set up an interview.