TAKE ACTION w/ #NEVILLEFIGHTSBACK
"The thing is, it helps when people stand up to them, it gives everyone hope. I used to notice that when you did it, Harry.”
- Neville Longbottom
Potterwatch listeners, your Dumbledore’s Army galleons are being activated to support free speech and communication! We have some work to do because the fight for Net Neutrality isn’t over! On Tuesday, February 27th the internet with engage in Operation: #OneMoreVote. This vehicle of hope is brought to us by the Congressional Review Act (CRA), which, with a majority of votes in both the Senate and House, is able to block the FCC’s repeal of Net Neutrality. As it stands right now, we only need ONE MORE VOTE to pass the resolution in the Senate. It can then move on to the House. Getting this last vote is only possible if we all come together to spread the message, contact our Congress members, and make our voices heard.
Here’s what you need to know:
- Go to battleforthenet.com/onemorevote to join the protest.
- Utilize the provided tools to take action!
- Share this info on social media and to your friends and family - every call makes a difference, especially if you are in one of these states.
Together we can save net neutrality and stop the ministry from stifling our creativity, mandating what information we’re able to get, and silencing our voices!
WANDS UP WALK OUT
Students around the U.S. are currently organizing student walkouts to call for real gun violence prevention from Congress. Are you thinking of planning a student walkout, but just aren't sure where to start? Grab the D.A.'s Tips for Organizing a Student Walkout (with text-reader-friendly version here) and get started!
STAND UP TO YOUR FRIENDS
Talking about human rights and social justice isn't always easy, especially with loved ones that don't quite see eye-to-eye with you. Afterall, it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.
Want to be a real hero? Talk to someone who isn't already a wizard activist about why you care so much about a social justice issue. Neville's Guide to Tough Conversations is here to help you do it.
JOIN DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY
Don't have a magic galleon? Sign up to receive alerts from the DA via our electronic owls!
Sometimes, it can feel like problems are just too big - like we can't influence policy, or like hatred and bigotry are too powerful. At those times, we remember Neville Longbottom.
When Hogwarts was overtaken by Death Eaters, Harry, Ron and Hermione left Hogwarts to destroy Voldemort's horcruxes. Neville and Luna Lovegood stayed behind - but they didn't stay quiet. They disrupted life at Hogwarts, resisting the "new normal" and speaking out against cruelty and hatred at every opportunity. Neville managed to destroy a horcrux, and his efforts meant that Hogwarts never abandoned the people that called it home.
Neville wasn't quiet when he was afraid - and you don't need to be, either. #NevilleFightsBack is here to serve as an action center for Dumbledore's Army, including resources and new actions that you can take to keep the resistance alive at Hogwarts: volunteer, donate, protest, educate, and contact your lawmakers.
- Work IRL: Join or start a chapter in your community
- Enroll in Wizard Activist School (like all our programs, it's totally free)
- Defense Against the Dark Arts: Politics for Beginners [English] [Português] [More languages to come!]
- Tips for Making Calls & Writing Letters (via Accio Books & the American Library Association's National Library Legislative Day)
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Amnesty International
- Black Youth Project 100
- Define American
- Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund
- Lambda Legal Defense Fund
- League of Women Voters
- Native American Rights Fund
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- The Southern Poverty Law Center
Have other resources you'd like to see here? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.