TAKE ACTION w/ #DAFIGHTSBACK
"We're his army. Dumbledore's Army. We're all in this together.- Neville Longbottom
JOIN DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY
Don't have a magic galleon? Sign up to receive alerts from the DA via our electronic owls!
Want to strengthen your activist skills? Enroll in our (totally free) Wizard Activist School!
Want to help build #NevilleFightsBack? Apply to be an HPA volunteer!
STAND UP TO YOUR FRIENDS
Talking about human rights and social justice isn't always easy, especially with loved ones that don't quite see eye-to-eye with you. After all, it takes a great deal of bravery tostand upto our enemies, but just as much tostand upto ourfriends.
Want to be a real hero? Talk to someone who isn't already a wizard activist about why you care so much about a social justice issue. Neville's Guide to Tough Conversations is here to help you do it.
In 2016, the world shifted in a big way. Bigotry and fear have long been a part of the global story, but it felt like the world hit a tipping point. Death Eaters seized the opportunity to rise to power. People were scared, they were angry, and they wanted to fight back.
We launched a new campaign, #NevilleFightsBack in the spirit of Neville Longbottom. When we first met Neville, he was insecure, inexperienced, & scared of school bullies. By the book 7, Neville fearlessly leads the resistance at Hogwarts & faces Voldemort head-on. In the wake of 2016, Neville was the perfect hero to help thousands of nervous, angry fans become heroes.
Over two years, wizard activists have contacted lawmakers, wrote letters, signed petitions, and made phone calls - but we felt like something was missing. Those actions are important - and they can also feel a bit lonely. We realized what Neville really needed to make a difference: friendship, love, and community. He needed Dumbledore's Army.
#DAFightsBack is our answer to the need for joyful connection and resistance in dark days. We're focusing on actions that connect and bond activists in new ways and help us respond to each challenge with energy, imagination, and - most importantly - love. Join us.
- During the holiday season, over 100 wizard activists tackled fear and bigotry at their own tables by following in the footsteps of resistance leader Neville Longbottom and standing up to their family and friends with Neville's (Expanded) Guide to Tough Conversations about Immigration.
- Research has shown that voters are more likely to cast their vote if they have a plan for Election Day - so we helped Wizard Activists create and share their personalized Marauder's Map to the Polls to think through where their polling place is, how they'd get there, what to do if they encountered a problem, and most importantly who they could recruit to go with them!
- When extremist hate groups proposed a ballot measure that would change Oregon's laws to make it easier for ICE to terrorize, detain, and deport undocumented immigrants, Dumbledore's Army came together to #StoptheSnatchers! We partnered with the ACLU and the #NoOn105 campaign to host a special livestream event where D.A. members learned how to talk to voters about ballot measure 105 and made over 7,000 calls to protect immigrants and their families. Thanks to wizard activists and thousands of activists in Oregon, measure 105 was successfully defeated!
- In honor of Indigenous People's Day, we sought to lift the Colonizer's Curse that hides the true history of the land on which we stand. We partnered with Reclaiming Native Truth to help wizard activists around the world research and recognize the local native nations where they live.
- When the U.S. State Department announced that they will cap refugee admissions at just 30,000 people, we asked why we open our borders to Harry, but not to refugees, and launched Owls of Hope to send letters of love and welcome to refugees. 215 wizard activists sent letters from all over the US, Canada, Ireland, France, Switzerland, Australia, India, and Malaysia. The letters were delivered to refugees at the Northwest Community Center in Dallas, TX!
- Dumbledore's Army joined the other real world D.A., Define American, in a Week of Witness to call attention to the then 500+ children still separated from their parents by the Trump administration's family separation crisis. We joined activists across the country in a call to #ReuniteEveryChild through singing lullabies and raising our wands in solidarity. Relive the magic with the WROCK to Reunite livestream and photo gallery!
- Work IRL: Join or start a chapter in your community
- Enroll in Wizard Activist School (like all our programs, it's totally free)
- Defense Against the Dark Arts: Politics for Beginners [English] [Português] [More languages to come!]
- Tips for Making Calls & Writing Letters (via Accio Books & the American Library Association's National Library Legislative Day)
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Amnesty International
- Black Youth Project 100
- Define American
- Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund
- Lambda Legal Defense Fund
- League of Women Voters
- Native American Rights Fund
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- The Southern Poverty Law Center
Have other resources you'd like to see here? Email email@example.com.