TAKE ACTION w/ #NEVILLEFIGHTSBACK
"The thing is, it helps when people stand up to them, it gives everyone hope. I used to notice that when you did it, Harry.”
- Neville Longbottom
Imagine if the magical resistance couldn’t access Potterwatch? What if the Ministry and the Wizard Wireless Network could decide to just block or slow down programs that they didn’t like?
Net Neutrality is the practice that protects the magic of the internet. It means that internet service providers (ISPs) can’t decide to just slow or block the content you want to access. But in December 2017, the FCC — led by a former Verizon lawyer — voted to end net neutrality, allowing ISPs like Verizon to block apps, slow websites, and charge fees to control what you see & do online. This means big trouble for independent creators, underrepresented voices, and online communities that you hold dear.
But we can change that.
Right now, Congress is considering a Congressional Review Act (CRA) that would allow them to overturn the FCC's undemocratic and decidedly unmagical decision. And that CRA is really close to passing.
So, what should you do?
- Feeling fired up? Visit Vote for Net Neutrality and sign up to find out how your lawmaker votes on the CRA. Our friends at Fight for the Future will let your Senators know that unless they vote for a CRA to overturn the FCC net neutrality vote, you will not vote them back into office.
- Call Congress at (202) 224-3121 (ask for your lawmaker by name). When you reach the friendly staff person in their office (we promise, they'll be friendly), use our script, or put it in your own words:
Hi, my name is _________ and I’m a constituent in [your zip code]. I’m calling because I want Senator _______ to vote yes on the Congressional Review Act to overturn the FCC's net neutrality vote.
I'm a member of the Harry Potter Alliance, an organization that helps fans make the world better. Through the HPA, I've helped donate thousands of books to kids in need, raised money for disaster relief and girls' education, and gotten more involved in my community. If not for the open internet, the online organizations like HPA wouldn't exist and our world would be way less magical. Thank you.
- Rally your network of friends, family, and internet users and help them learn how we can still save Net Neutrality.
P.S. - Prefer to write your thoughts? Do it in the papers! Write a Letter to the Editor stating you believe your Senators and Representative need to protect net neutrality. Press often grabs a politician's attention more than an email, and seeing you take action will help inspire your friends! So visit your local paper's website and look for how to submit a letter (it's sometimes called "Perspectives", "Your Opinion", "In Your Words", etc). Letters to the Editor are short (only a couple sentences), so feel free to use the script above to help write yours!
STAND UP TO YOUR FRIENDS
Talking about human rights and social justice isn't always easy, especially with loved ones that don't quite see eye-to-eye with you. Afterall, it takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.
Want to be a real hero? Talk to someone who isn't already a wizard activist about why you care so much about a social justice issue. Neville's Guide to Tough Conversations is here to help you do it.
JOIN DUMBLEDORE'S ARMY
Don't have a magic galleon? Sign up to receive alerts from the DA via our electronic owls!
Sometimes, it can feel like problems are just too big - like we can't influence policy, or like hatred and bigotry are too powerful. At those times, we remember Neville Longbottom.
When Hogwarts was overtaken by Death Eaters, Harry, Ron and Hermione left Hogwarts to destroy Voldemort's horcruxes. Neville and Luna Lovegood stayed behind - but they didn't stay quiet. They disrupted life at Hogwarts, resisting the "new normal" and speaking out against cruelty and hatred at every opportunity. Neville managed to destroy a horcrux, and his efforts meant that Hogwarts never abandoned the people that called it home.
Neville wasn't quiet when he was afraid - and you don't need to be, either. #NevilleFightsBack is here to serve as an action center for Dumbledore's Army, including resources and new actions that you can take to keep the resistance alive at Hogwarts: volunteer, donate, protest, educate, and contact your lawmakers.
- Work IRL: Join or start a chapter in your community
- Enroll in Wizard Activist School (like all our programs, it's totally free)
- Defense Against the Dark Arts: Politics for Beginners [English] [Português] [More languages to come!]
- Tips for Making Calls & Writing Letters (via Accio Books & the American Library Association's National Library Legislative Day)
- American Civil Liberties Union
- Amnesty International
- Black Youth Project 100
- Define American
- Disability Rights Education & Defense Fund
- Lambda Legal Defense Fund
- League of Women Voters
- Native American Rights Fund
- National Center for Transgender Equality
- The Southern Poverty Law Center
Have other resources you'd like to see here? Email email@example.com.